Re: [opensuse] pngquant - PNG compressor
On 2019-05-02 1:13 a.m., David C. Rankin wrote:

pngquant is a PNG compressor that significantly reduces file sizes
by converting images to a more efficient 8-bit PNG format with
alpha channel (often 60-80% smaller than 24/32-bit PNG files).

I can see how that is relevant to things like screen shots[1], but I'm not sure,
in other instances, why you would want to throw away the extra bits of dynamic
range that are in the RAW camera format or might be a result of
post-processing.[2]

"Lossy" means you loose information.
You may call it a 'more efficient use of space' if you don't care about the
accuracy of the image.

That being said, when I reduce an image to an icon of 64x64 I fully expect too
loose a LOT of detail :-)

[1] Or for most of us for whom it is just a decorative back-curtain, not those
of us so obsessional as to want to count every hair on her pubes.

[2] And then reduce it to a JPG to have it printed at Walmart.