Re: [opensuse] Paths of DNS Queries
On 01/05/2019 18.01, Per Jessen wrote:
Anton Aylward wrote:
On 2019-05-01 9:42 a.m., Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

I understand listening on localhost:53
Its a 'well known' address.
I can even grok listening on *:53 when I'm in a generous mood.
But something has to refer to /var/run/nscd/socket
As opposed to some other socket
In order to talk to nscd via that oscket they have to have found the
address /var/run/nscd/socket somewhere. So WHERE?

It's hardcoded in libc. (no doubt configurable at build time)

I'm running dnsmasq not nscd but I find this interesting

They don't preclude oneanother, they actually complement each other.
nscd isn't necessary, but presumably does speed up things.

My main install in this machine has nscd and bind. My laptop has nscd
and dnsmasq.

I would not stop nscd, at most I would configure it to not cache
internet names. But nothing bad happens if you don't, it is the default
setting. The documentation of dnsmasq doesn't say to disable nscd, AFAIR.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.