Re: [opensuse] Paths of DNS Queries
On Wed, 1 May 2019 13:47:32 +0200
On 01/05/2019 13.22, Anton Aylward wrote:
Sorry Carlos, "Intercepted' is just too vague a concept.
Somehow, somewhere there is a decision-in-software, an 'if"
statement based on a config file entry, and not a beady-eyed raptor
waiting to swoop down on an unsuspecting rodent.

nscd is not in the "official" loop, IMHO, so instead it puts itself in
the middle intercepting some library calls and giving an answer
without the library reaching its designed goal of reading the hosts
file or querying a DNS.

I can not explain in detail because I do not know, I simply guess.

I just typed 'linux how does dns resolution work' into u-no-hoo and got
this result:

https://zwischenzugs.com/2018/06/08/anatomy-of-a-linux-dns-lookup-part-i/

I haven't read it all, so it might be a waste of time, but it starts off
well ....