[opensuse] Re: What are Transparent Huge Pages vs. non-transparent ones and when do I use them?
On 3/19/2019 1:17 PM, Dave Howorth wrote:
On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 12:59:24 -0700

Yes, it makes things fairly clear. They're useful on big machines and
they're useful with VMs. Since I have a modest machine and never use
VMs I question why my system is set to 'always' by default?

if not, feel free to ask more questions and I can try to answer them,
though if you want me to respond more quickly, sending a copy
directly to me would likely have me seeing it more quickly...

Feel free to modify the reply-to settings if you want personal replies.

The normal default used to be Reply-All, but I wouldn't want to have it
sent
just to me if someone is using reply-to-group -- neither would I want to
change it to me in the case where they *didn't* want a quicker response, or
primarily wanted to stand on a soapbox and address the group, not really
wanting or needing a personal reply. Since you were the person who started
the thread, I would submit that you more likely want to address the
group and
that you didn't need a faster response from me.

FWIW, I agree with you -- setting it to always might be useful on a distro
aimed at servers or larger memory machines, but on many desktops with
8-32GB, setting it to madvise would seem the wisest choice of action and
most
likely to cause least disruption.

But like the scheduler settings for no-preempt, voluntary preempt, fully
preemptable, it seems someone set them with some particular goal in mind
other than causing least disruption. Like it was one of the "doers" who
took the attitude of those who do make the rules. Unfortunately, it seems,
rarely are such decisions "informed".