Re: [opensuse] Transparent Huge Pages
On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 20:08:57 +0100
Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dave Howorth wrote:

On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 20:15:37 +0300
Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

19.03.2019 16:20, Dave Howorth пишет:

I don't understand why madvise isn't the most useful.

Because then THP stops being Transparent.

But given the difficulties redis and php and presumably other
programs appear to have, the whole idea of transparency is a bug
not a feature, is it not?

Not if every system that doesn't run redis is doing better because of
it ?

There are a *lot* of systems that run PHP. And I'm sure there are lots
of other applications that use small memory blocks. Why should they be
penalised?

Surely it's better to have a design where programs that want to use
a new feature ask for it and programs that don't aren't forced to
use it?

huge pages is not really a user/application level feature.

what's madvise about then?