Re: [opensuse] Transparent Huge Pages
Am 17.03.19 um 12:17 schrieb Andrei Borzenkov:
17.03.2019 12:20, Hendrik Woltersdorf пишет:
Am 17.03.19 um 02:37 schrieb David C. Rankin:
On 03/16/2019 07:31 PM, Dave Howorth wrote:
So why are THP enabled by default? I could understand if they were set
to madvise for example, but are they likely to make a huge difference
on my 8 GB desktop?

And I don't understand why redis recommend a setting of never rather
than madvise, if anybody has any thoughts on that?

Strange, they are disabled on 42.3. Apparently there is benefit to the
decreasing the number of lookups, but the downside is on systems running
databases or dealing with sparse data. I don't know whether this helps or
hurts the normal user.

It hurts me regularly when I run VMware virtual machines on Leap 15.
Then khugepaged and the VM utilize the assigned cpu cores 100% for a
couple of seconds up to a minute. Therefor I disable THP, if I care for
the performance of the VM.

You disable it in host or in guest?

On the host.