Re: [opensuse] Transparent Huge Pages
On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 13:23:35 +0100

On 17/03/2019 10.45, Per Jessen wrote:
David C. Rankin wrote:

On 03/16/2019 07:31 PM, Dave Howorth wrote:
So why are THP enabled by default? I could understand if they were
set to madvise for example, but are they likely to make a huge
difference on my 8 GB desktop?

And I don't understand why redis recommend a setting of never
rather than madvise, if anybody has any thoughts on that?

I still don't understand why madvise doesn't solve all problems.

Strange, they are disabled on 42.3.

On my Lenovo laptop with Leap42.3 and 8Gb memory, it is enabled.

cer@Telcontar:~> cat /sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage/enabled
[always] madvise never
cer@Telcontar:~>

I suppose that is disabled. This machine has 8 GiB, a desktop with
15.0

No, that is enabled. The square brackets indicate the chosen option.

I obtain the same result on my small laptop, which has 4 GiB.