Re: [opensuse] Transparent Huge Pages
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2019 10:34:01 +0100
Dave Howorth wrote:

I've just noticed that Transparent Huge Pages are enabled on my Leap
15.0 system. I don't believe I've done anything to cause that since I
didn't know what they were until I recently read the redis log which
says:

"WARNING you have Transparent Huge Pages (THP) support enabled in your
kernel. This will create latency and memory usage issues with Redis.
To fix this issue run the command
'echo never > /sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage/enabled' as root,
and add it to your /etc/rc.local in order to retain the setting after
a reboot. Redis must be restarted after THP is disabled."

So why are THP enabled by default? I could understand if they were set
to madvise for example, but are they likely to make a huge difference
on my 8 GB desktop?

Looking at a couple of Leap 42.3 and Leap 15 systems, with memory
varying from 4G to 16G, they all have it enabled. THP is supposedly
good for performance machines with larger amounts of memory.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (12.8°C)