Re: [opensuse] Why are nsupdate changes not persistent?
On 2019-03-10 5:08 p.m., Marc Chamberlin wrote:
Hi - This has been a difficult journey but I believe I have now
configured my bind (named) service to accept updates using nsupdate to
one of my zones. It seems to be working but when I restart the
named.service the updates I made using nsupdate do not persist.

Maybe I'm naive and simplistic but isn't nsupdate a "Dynamic DNS update utility"
and the changes are not meant to persist?

As I understand it there is a mechanism whereby a separate DHCP server can tell
the DNS server about requests it has fulfilled and add or remove appropriate
entries for the dynamically assigned addresses.

Since I use dnsmasq this isn't a problem for me.
It is a very capable 'all-in-one' package.
Since it does both DNS and DHCP it 'knows' what addresses it has issued and so
can effortless create the and remove the dynamic dns entries.

I can see a problem when you don't have the all-in-one.
If the DHCP server issues the update but the DNS server later does and looses
that information but then restarts then there is a host with a dynamically
assigned for whom the dynamic DNS information is lost.

Perhaps that is a 'well don't do that' reason to use dnsmasq.
When it goes down the assignment of the address and the DNS record are both
lost. It comes back up and 'orphaned' host requests and is given a new address
and the appropriate DNS record created.
No 'dangling' stuff.

I looked at the complexity and failure modes associated with separate DHCP and
DNS and the messaging and cryptology and decided that a minimalist of dnsmasq
was going to more functional in my system.

Nevertheless, you pose an interesting set of conundrums in this thread and I'm
bookmarking it.