Re: [opensuse] Zypper and restart?
On 15/03/2019 07.53, Per Jessen wrote:
Anton Aylward wrote:

Oh buqquer, I hate that sort of manual work.
Why isn't zypper using cURL under the hood so that this can be
automated?

No, wait a moment:
# ldd /usr/bin/zypper | grep curl
libcurl.so.4 => /usr/lib64/libcurl.so.4 (0x00007fa18c6f0000)

and

# ldd /usr/lib64/libzypp.so.1600 | grep curl
libcurl.so.4 => /usr/lib64/libcurl.so.4 (0x00007f522a353000)

It *IS* using the curl library.
So why can't zypper do a restart?

Just one of those things that were not considered - a mostly working
internet connection. It doesn't sound too difficult to do though: if
download is incomplete, just pass the current file size to the libcurl
invocation.

The reason is clear from comments from Benjamin Zeller and Andrei
Borzenkov: the partial download is stored with a randomized name (why? I
don't know/guess). Restart zypper and it uses another name. Zypper does
multiple download threads (as I thought), which is able to cope with
interrupted downloads at the remote end, but not all threads failing, on
the local side. Curious. It seems that the application should recover if
left alone sufficient time, though.

I wonder if limiting the number of simultaneous downloads would help or
if it is possible.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.