Re: [opensuse] Backup Data to a Remote Tape Drive
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2019 23:31:10 +0100
Mark Petersen wrote:

I'm looking for some help in backing up some data on a virtual machine
to the host's tape drive.

Searching the internet, I found this command:

# tar cvzf - /data | ssh root@host "cat > /dev/st0"

But, I would like to run the script from the host not on the guest vm.

I have limited space on the host and guest, so I'd like to "stream"
the data to the tape drive.

That is exactly what the above does? It tars up /data on the client,
pipes it to stdout onto 'host' where it is written to /dev/st0.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (14.8°C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.