Re: [opensuse] grub2-install question
On 2019-03-05 5:35 a.m., Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
l not proceed with blocklists.

Don't remember ever seeing the above error and this has worked in the past.

I too encountered the above.
Once upon a time it worked ... then 'something changed' and it behaved like the
above.
What the !!! well software gets updated.
"Yes, it used to be, but we changed all that" seems to be a mantra of
programmers.

It could not work in the past.

It could; it did but, the crux of the matter is that the past is irrelevant;
what is relevant is that it doesn't work now and isn't going to.

What am I doing wrong? I still just get "GRUB" at boot.
Use "grub2-install --force".

My solution was slightly different.
I had adequate backups and my attitude, which has often been criticised here, of
using LVM and making lots of divisions for not just things under /home and
documentation and /srv but under /usr and such things that involve "local" and
many of the settings under /etc ...

Well, I not only used the 'failure' as an excuse to upgrade the OS but I bought
a new drive to put it on as well.

OK, so it was a wimp-out, but sometimes you need that little incentive to move
on.
Right now it will take a bit more than that to make me upgrade to "15", but
that's OT here.

Mark, you might want to consider a non-trivial move here rather than a repair.

You might do, as I did back then, consider giving up completely on the extN
family of file systems. I've had no regrets what so ever about that.

I'm sure that someone on the list will also recommend giving up on GRUB as a
bootloader. That is not an avenue I've explored though I do recall using LILO
with early versions of Linux.

https://www.tecmint.com/best-linux-boot-loaders/
https://www.slant.co/topics/4820/~linux-bootloaders
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd-boot
http://refit.sourceforge.net/
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Clover

I have no first-hand knowledge of any of these so YMMV.
GRUB and GRUB2 have served me well, even as I say, needing a 'behind the scenes'
equipment upgrade to match software upgrades. But isn't that so often the case?