Re: [opensuse] using old cell phone as a server
On 04/03/2019 14.47, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 2019-03-04 4:36 a.m., Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2019-03-03 6:20 p.m., Carlos E. R. wrote:
But it is not openSUSE. It is a fake Linux. I can not run YaST and
install my packages.

No, its a real version of Linux.

It is not. It doesn't run text mode. It doesn't run an X server. I can
not ssh to it.

That does not prove it is not real Linux.
The presence of absence of a specific application or the accessibility of
same
to an individual has nothing to do with whether this is 'real Linux' or not.
Also, phones do not have 3 full USB3 connectors to connect 3 external
huge hard disks at full speed. Nor does it have an Ethernet connector.

Well under my desk is an old HP laptop with a broken screen and the original
drive running openSUSE 4.1 and MariaDB for my local web server.
It only has one USB port. The drive is neither very large nor very fast.
Apart from a SSH server and some other background stuff like CRON, that DB
server is the only stuff running. Not running X takes a great load off it!
being an old machine it does have only a 10MHz Ethernet.

All that makes them not usable to me in the role of replacing my home
server. (X and ssh and huge disks and reasonable Ethernet are a must have)

"Trying" is just a curiosity.

I'm not interested.

--
Cheers / Saludos,