Re: [opensuse] using old IDE laptop
  • From: Freek de Kruijf <freek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2019 13:17:24 +0100
Op vrijdag 1 maart 2019 11:57:48 CET schreef Carlos E. R.:
On 01/03/2019 11.44, Per Jessen wrote:
That does sound like useless crap :-)

It fulfilled the home server role very well for about two or three years :-)

I installed on it a new PATA internal disk, and added two large external
disks on USB 2, encrypted. Worked 24*7 at a very low load average.

Being a laptop meant it used little space, yet had a keyboard and
display for managing it when needed.

Tumbleweed still has a 32 bits version of the OS. I run TW (Raspberry Pi 3,
64bits) on my server and on an old system (32 bits) of a friend. Works very
stable. I do upgrades first on a separate system, my desktop.

According to documentation, even a brand new Raspi 3 will default to
32bit mode. (it does both). I'll probably install one today, I'll
let you know.

I use the aarch64 version of TW on the Raspberry Pi 3 and on a Banana Pi M64.

The KDE appliance image for Raspi3 is for 64bit mode only, afaict.

If you want KDE on such a system I would recommend to use the Banana Pi M64,
which has 2GB memory. See the wiki on how to install. It uses the same
repository as the one used by the Raspberry Pi 3 (aarch64).

--
fr.gr.

member openSUSE
Freek de Kruijf