Re: [opensuse] VLC 3 and Chromecast
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 00:23:30 +0100 (CET)

On 2018-11-13 02:09, Carlos E. R. wrote:
But a third one did not work, and it is the type I'm interested in, as
they come from direct recording of my TV streams (delayed view). They
are mpeg. Transport mpeg, I think is the proper name. I get audio, but
no video. Same problem as using VLC on a tablet. Nothing I try with
these files work on the Chromecast (I mean I tried several Android apps
some commercial). VLC or others play them just fine locally.

I have some mpeg-ts from Swedish television and they are perfectly castable to my Ultra. But they have AVC (H264) as video codec. It might be that your mpeg-ts have a codec that isn't one of chromecast supported format. TICO is one of them.

If you have "mediainfo" installed check the file with that. avprobe, ffprobe (and to some extent exiftool) also gives some info but I think mediainfo is a lot more versatile. A lot of output formats.

mediainfo file.ts
mediainfo --Output=JSON file.ts
mediainfo --Info_OutputFormats

It is different.

Video
ID : 101 (0x65)
Menu ID : 3710 (0xE7E)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4
Format settings : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=8, N=24
Codec ID : 27 <====== ?
Duration : 3 min 53 s
Bit rate : 6 242 kb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Standard : Component
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : MBAFF
Scan type, store method : Interleaved fields
Scan order : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.120
Stream size : 174 MiB (90%)
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Another one, sliglty different:

Video
ID : 101 (0x65)
Menu ID : 51 (0x33)
Format profile : High@L3
Format settings : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=8, N=24
Codec ID : 27
Duration : 2 h 15 min
Bit rate : 1 869 kb/s
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Standard : PAL
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : MBAFF
Scan type, store method : Interleaved fields
Scan order : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.180
Stream size : 1.76 GiB (81%)
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.601 PAL
Transfer characteristics : BT.470 System B/G
Matrix coefficients : BT.470 System B/G

Some years ago I stumbled on a nice small bash script that converts to chromecast supported format.

https://github.com/petrkotek/chromecastize

Now it is late, maybe tomorrow I can check on that. Thankyou!

- -- Cheers
Carlos E. R.

(from openSUSE 42.3 x86_64 "Malachite" (Minas Tirith))