Re: [opensuse] trouble with ssh connecting
  • From: Peter Suetterlin <pit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 09:30:20 +0000
Carlos E. R. wrote:
Posts, yes, I saw some of them. I was aware of it. But I don't recall an
official notice for TW.

It's always your/our fault. One should read all release notes for each
update. But who really does?

But I seem to remember posts here from 'officials' stating that 'SFW doesn't
stop working if you don't uninstall it'. As we see, that is only partially
true. And the problem can easily show up with more programs:

woodstock: # rpm -qf /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2.d/services/*|sort|uniq
SuSEfirewall2-3.6.378-3.1.noarch
dhcp-4.3.5-6.2.x86_64
dovecot-2.3-1.2.noarch
file /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2.d/services/sshd is not owned by any package
file /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2.d/services/tincd is not owned by any package
mariadb-10.2.18-1.2.x86_64
nfs-client-2.1.1-8.1.x86_64
nut-2.7.4-10.1.x86_64
postfix-3.3.1-4.1.x86_64
pulseaudio-12.2-1.1.x86_64
rsync-3.1.3-3.1.x86_64
samba-4.9.1+git.101.212e237d8ef-1.1.x86_64
samba-client-4.9.1+git.101.212e237d8ef-1.1.x86_64
subversion-1.10.3-1.1.x86_64
ypbind-2.5-1.2.x86_64

So better make backups of it ;^>
(and this also shows that, despite 'deprecated', many packages still 'support'
SFW....)

I see a paragraph in the 15.0 release notes, though. And anyway, on Leap
upgrades SuSEfirewall2 is installed and running, so people may not
notice. I have met a few these days that did not know that they should
not still use SuSEfirewall2.

That's why I think the switch was badly timed/prepared. SuSEfirewall
supported a plugin service system, so many of the configuration files were not
part of the SFW package, but from the daemon packages. In principle a very
nice thing. But it bites back in case of such changes.

So before removing it there could/should have been a (last) update that
incorporates all those config files, at least for the usual services, and
remove them from the daemon packages.