Re: [opensuse] trouble with ssh connecting
* Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [11-12-18 11:16]:
On 12/11/2018 15.32, Peter Suetterlin wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 12/11/2018 15.00, Peter Suetterlin wrote:

In my case, it does. Just realized I cannot ssh into my laptop anymore,
and
the firewall was blocking.

The reson was that the sshd service configuration for the firewall,
/etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2.d/services/sshd, was/is part of the openssh
package, but the latest one doesn't have it anymore (because SuSEfirewall
has
been dropped).
Nice move :(

(This is Tumbleweed - don't know how it is on other systems)

Well, in TW you should not be using SuSEfirewll2.

I just continuously updated my installation. I cannot remember anything
urging me to remove the package and replace it with something else, nor was
such a switch done by the updates.....

OK, for real - of course I know about the switch, as I read the list here.
But not everyone does.

(And I still think that switch to firewalld was one of the worst stunts in
opensuse history - but that's another topic)

Oh, I agree. I have migrated two machines to 15.0, a third is waiting,
and I haven't still done the firewall in any. I fear it.

really doesn't appear too difficult. I have it on three boxes now and
thing I have everything I had with SuSEfirewall2. it's just different.
there are plenty of examples and instructions on the net. I successfully
opened ports for kconnectd and vnc and moved ssh. but my server is still
on 42.2 and SuSEfirewall2. I probably will not change it until I upgrade
it.

there is an add-on for yast which will make changes for you but not nearly
as comprehensive and leading as before.