Re: [opensuse] trouble with ssh connecting
  • From: Peter Suetterlin <pit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 14:00:05 +0000
Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 12/11/2018 12.08, George from the tribe wrote:
I use ssh to sync my 2 laptops. I have all my keys in place, so it
normally connects without a problem or having to enter a password. Until
recently it worked fine, but now here is what I am dealing with.

On laptop #1, I connect to laptop #2 with the following:
ssh -X george@192.168.1.169

It connects fine without any trouble.

On laptop #2 I connect to #1 with the following
ssh -X george@192.168.1.180

I can connect to myself from laptop #1 to laptop #1 by running the same
command ssh -X george@192.168.1.180, and it works no problem. So I think
the port is open on that computer.

No, I think the firewall doesn't intervene in this case.

In my case, it does. Just realized I cannot ssh into my laptop anymore, and
the firewall was blocking.

The reson was that the sshd service configuration for the firewall,
/etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2.d/services/sshd, was/is part of the openssh
package, but the latest one doesn't have it anymore (because SuSEfirewall has
been dropped).
Nice move :(

(This is Tumbleweed - don't know how it is on other systems)