Re: [opensuse] Thunderbird v60 date format
On 12/11/2018 01.28, Dave Howorth wrote:
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 23:47:56 +0100 "Carlos E. R." <> wrote:
On 11/11/2018 17.13, Dave Howorth wrote:
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 15:26:58 +0100 "Carlos E. R." <> wrote:
On 10/11/2018 15.16, Christoph Feck wrote:
On 10.11.2018 14:31, Carlos E. R. wrote:
What do we use in openSUSE instead of "locale-gen"?

According to
https://manpages.debian.org/stretch/locales/locale-gen.8.en.html
`locale-gen` just calls `localedef` for each line in
a /etc/locale.gen config file.

The link does not explain what command line it builds. I can not
make it work:

Telcontar:~ # tail /etc/locale.gen
root.UTF-8 UTF-8
Telcontar:~ # localedef root.UTF-8 UTF-8
Try `localedef --help' or `localedef --usage' for more information.
Telcontar:~ #

Telcontar:~ # localedef /etc/locale.gen

Hangs.

Well, that's not really surprising, is it? GIGO

On the other hand `localedef --help' or `localedef --usage' might
help, as might 'man localedef' to tell you what arguments localedef
takes.

I tried before the above, and you can see the results.

Sorry but I don't see any output from you running localedef with -f and
-i arguments, so I'm not sure what you're saying.

That's because I did not know I had to use -f and -i. Supposedly
locale-gen «just calls `localedef` for each line in a /etc/locale.gen
config file», and as that file just contains a single line (root.UTF-8
UTF-8), thus doing:

localedef root.UTF-8 UTF-8

should be more than enough. That not working, I have absolutely no idea
what arguments to feed it, except combinations at random :-(

-f charmapfile, --charmap=charmapfile
Specify the file that defines the character set that is
used by the input file. If charmapfile contains a slash character
('/'), it is interpreted as the name of the character map. Otherwise,
the file is sought in the current directory and the default directory
for character maps. If the environment variable I18NPATH is set,
$I18NPATH/charmaps/ and $I18NPATH/ are also searched after the current
directory.
The default directory for character maps is printed by
localedef --help.

-i inputfile, --inputfile=inputfile

Specify the locale definition file to compile. The file
is sought in the current directory and the default directory for locale
definition files. If the environment variable I18NPATH is set,
$I18NPATH/locales/ and $I18NPATH are also searched after the current
directory. The default directory for locale definition files is printed
by localedef --help.

Maybe you know what to do and this stuff is simple and I'm being stupid.
To my it is gobbledygook. Incantation passes. So please, if you know the
trick to make Thunderbird accept "LC_TIME=root.UTF-8 thunderbird" (or
en-SE) I would appreciate it.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.