Re: [opensuse] apcupsd Configuration
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2018 09:44:03 +0100
Paul Groves wrote:

On 09/11/2018 16:40, Per Jessen wrote:
Paul Groves wrote:

Hi everyone

I have 3 servers. Let's call them A B and C
Server A has an APC BR1500GI connected via the APC RJ50 to USB
cable.

I wish to set up apcupsd so that when the power goes off, Server A
tells server B and C to shut down. Once they have shut down then
server A should shut down.

So effectively Server A is the 'master' and B/C are 'slaves'

I understand this is possible but I have never had to do this
before. Has anyone got a similar setup?

Yup, sounds much like ours. We monitor three UPS'es (APCs in
parallel)
with SNMP. Every machine has a apcupsd client that talks to the
master/server (who talks to the UPS'es).

Ah ok so I am on the right track. That's good. :)

If possible, can you please send me your config so I can see how it is
set up?

Sure, I'll email it.

I also understand that it is possible to have the UPS shut down
automatically after the apcupsd 'master' shuts off and then the UPS
will turn back on automatically when the mains power is restored.

I would have thought the UPS will always come back on when power is
restored?

I read that only when shut off by the USB / serial, not when shut off
manually by the power button. But I have not tested this yet.

I don't think we actually do that - actively shut down the UPS. I
wonder if maybe we should.

Basically, in this scenario, server power should be set to "always
on".

Yep exactly.

Although at my old job we had so many servers that used to trip out
the ring main so we had to get one of those PSUs that turn on one at a
time every couple of seconds. Good times lol

Yes, start-up surges can be an issue, but as you say, staggered power-on
will solve that one.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (8.1°C)