Re: [opensuse] Login weirdness
On 09/11/2018 13.42, Liam Proven wrote:
On 09/11/2018 11:20, Carlos E. R. wrote:

I buy new but not the most recent design. This motherboard I bought with
a Quad Core 2 processor, what was a large amount of ram at the time (the
max the board allowed), 8 GB of DDR3. The idea was not top speed, but
data movement. MSI P45 Diamond, MS-7516. Several hard disk sata ports.
December 2009 and still working fine...

I still have such a box, given to me from my local Freegle group about
6y ago. Core 2 Quad Extreme. I ran it as a Hackintosh for several years,
dual-booting Win8 and Linux too.

It is very noisy in use, though, and I rarely use it now.

Ah, but that is the fans. Good silent fans cost more ;-)

All my computers I had, had to be replaced because not enough memory.

I haven't really got that far, but the problem with some is that
although I _could_ fit more RAM, large amounts of the old slow types of
RAM that they take would cost too much.

E.g. I had an old Core 2 Duo laptop, a perfectly nice machine, but
upgrading it past 4GB would cost more than it was worth. So I sold it off.

Yes, exactly. More memory for my Pentium V with 32MiB of RAM was too
costly, so purchase instead new computer. Thus it died of RAM
insufficiency. ;-)

Not that way. It is the memory itself which is fragmented.

Ah, yes, that is an issue, now that modern OSes stay up long enough for
it to become a problem.

Of course, a reboot solves it!

Or a restart of firefox.

I know it sounds crazy, but I think the proof that the idea works is
that it was introduced as standard in Mac OS X as of version 10.9
"Mavericks".

Oh.

Yeah. :-) It's quite standard now.

I have yet to get ZRAM working on openSUSE but it's fairly easy on Ubuntu.

Yes... I want my cake and eat it O:-)

The trick to send it to swap kind of works :-)

OK. I prefer an easier life, myself... ;-)

Well, yes. Did you see that the machine has 8 GiB of RAM, and there were
6 GiB of swap in use? Yes, I need more ram, which means new board, and
money. That's the best solution, then easy life... But I do not want to
expend that money now.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.