Re: [opensuse] Login weirdness
On 05/11/2018 18.28, Liam Proven wrote:
On 04/11/2018 17:37, Michael Fischer wrote:
In the meantime, I decided (perhaps wisely, given what I just found ^^^
here),
to purchase a replacement (EVO 860 500G) and just install that as a new
/home.

Question.

That replacement model number looks like an SSD.

Is the old drive an SSD?

No, based on the smartctl output:

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 (AF)
Device Model: ST1000DM003-1SB102
Serial Number:
LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 0a28684ad
Firmware Version: CC43
User Capacity: 1,000,204,886,016 bytes [1.00 TB]
Sector Sizes: 512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
Rotation Rate: 7200 rpm
Form Factor: 3.5 inches

This is just IMHO and doubtless others will disagree, but on my own
machines, if I have space for both, I put the OS on an SSD and /home on
a conventional spinning hard disk.

I also use a non-journaling filesystem (usually ext2) and disable atime
to reduce the disk writes to the SSD.

I use "lazytime" mount option. It may become a default option.

This gives the ideal combination of performance and longevity.

OS binary files are often big, thus the SSD's speed significantly
reduces the loading times, therefore increasing performance.

Config files, in /home/$mydir, are generally pretty small, so they read
quickly anyway.

But they seek faster on SSD :-)

There are _relatively_ few writes to the OS partition, where I don't
want to wear out the SSD, but lots of writes to the stuff in the home
directory -- where the HD's longer lifespan benefits me.

I find little to no perceptible performance difference between a machine
with OS on SSD and /home on HD, and a machine with everything on SSD.

I have a machine that needs more RAM, but the board can't take more.
Placing the swap on SSD gave the machine a huge speed difference.

Like this laptop: has 4 Gigs, and is currently using 1.6 of swap. I'm
only running XFCE, Thunderbird and Firefox. Ah, I forgot clamd, takes
half a gig, and I'm only using my trick on the desktop, is not automated
yet. I must go back to it.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.