Re: [opensuse] antique HDs (was: Login weirdness)
On 02/11/2018 19:20, James Knott wrote:
That drive & controller had 2 cables, one for controlling the drive and
the other for data.

Yes, that was normal back then.

The evolution was something like:

ST-506 (5 Mb/s; 34-pin control cable, 20-pin data cable, MFM encoding)

The biggest drive I ever heard of was a 3½" Conner unit that did 88 MB.
I coveted one for my Acorn Archimedes but couldn't afford it.

→ "RLL" (7½ Mb/s; same interface, higher-density encoding, not
compatible but *might* work, sometimes briefly)

→ ESDI (10/15/20 Mb/s; same cabling, different signals -- more "brains"
on the drive, less on the controller card)

→ IDE (3.3 M*B*/s; single 40-pin cable; all controller electronics on
the drive; max drive size 2GB.)

Then there were various iterations of IDE until SATA came along.

IDE-2 (or ATA-1; 1993) allowed DMA for 13.3 MB/s and 128 GB drives - 8
GB without LBA.

This is when non-hard-disks first got attached to the interface. CD-ROMs
at first, mainly. Later, tape drives, very high-density "superfloppy"
drives.

EIDE (or ATA-2 or Ultra-ATA; 1994) 16.6 MB/s

ATA-3 brought in notebook-sized drives.

ATA-4 (Ultra ATA/33, 1997) 33 MB/s

ATA-5 (Ultra ATA/66, 1999) 66 MB/s over 80-wire cables

ATA-6 (Ultra ATA/100, 2000) 100 MB/s

The last I saw was Ultra ATA/133, but apparently there was an Ultra
ATA/167 standard as well.

In parallel (ha ha) to all this was SCSI development, always a bit
faster and always quite a lot more expensive. SCSI allowed 8 devices per
controller, rather than 2, needed termination, and was a nightmare to
troubleshoot, but far quicker and more versatile when it worked.