Re: [opensuse] antique HDs (was: Login weirdness)
* Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [11-02-18 14:15]:
Liam Proven composed on 2018-11-02 18:40 (UTC+0100):

Carlos E. R. wrote:
The first hard disk I bought came with a bad sector list printed in
paper by the manufacturer. All disks came with that at that time. It was
30 megabytes big, a huge disk at that time.

Well, the first one I used at work, yes. 20 MB and I added a 2nd 15MB
drive to the machine for SCO Xenix 286.

But times have changed a lot. The last new disk I bought was a 1TB
notebook hard disk, a quarter the size of a deck of cards.

This would need a pile of those Conner 225 ST-506 interface drives that
I mentioned just now the size of (and a *lot* heavier than) a Space
Shuttle to store an equivalent amount of data.

I still have the 5.8lb ST-506 30ms 1024 cyl 8 hd 17 sect Micropolis 85MB
model 1335 from the
external storage addon for the Altos Xenix 286 where I worked, thinking
someday I'd run across a
controller to match it to try to retrieve the scripts I wrote.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

this thread change belongs in offtopic. it contributes nothing to the
proclaimed subject this form is to address.