Re: [opensuse] Scanner settings?
On 01/11/2018 19.04, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 01/11/2018 18.09, Per Jessen wrote:
gumb wrote:

I use Skanlite, it saves settings!

(not sure about boundaries though)

Ditto & ditto. I don't think I've ever had reason to set the
boundaries.

Me, always.

I set the boundaries to the minimal size that will get the document or
whatever, living out the white space on the margins.
The resulting filesize is smaller. Sometimes a lot smaller.

Doesn't that mean doing a pre-scan?

Yes.

There is a scanning application that does that automagically, I' don't
remember which one.

Xsane, but manually. It does a pre-scan at low resolution, thus very
fast. I also use it to adjust contrast and light.

Sometimes, when doing a bunch of similar documents, I do the adjustments
on the first page, and not the rest.

I usually scan for use in a document or to email to someone. Sometimes
converting to a PDF first. It's most often text, so I use 150dpi,
sometimes 300dpi. I rarely use a scan without opening it with gimp,
reducing the size and saving as jpeg, at 60%. That'll create a decent
scanned image, reasonably sized for email, and it won't produce bloated
PDFs.

I scan directly from gimp. Gimp calls Xsane, and gets the result intact
without compression. Then in gimp I save to jpg (export, in gimp
parlance) changing the ratio while I see the result of that ratio in the
display, finally choosing one that seems good visually. Then I might
convert to PDF or sent as jpg.

Typically I use 300 dpi, easier to read. For documents I store and might
print again, I use 600 and convert to djvu, because it is the printer
resolution.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.