Re: [opensuse] ls or find on directories with millions of files ?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2018 18:15:13 +0100
Bernhard Voelker wrote:

On 10/31/18 8:23 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Bernhard Voelker wrote:

On 10/30/18 5:36 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
This might be file system dependent, I'm not sure. I've been doing
some tidying up and got stuck on a few directories with millions of
files in them. 3+ million per directory.
Doing a 'find' takes a very long time and also essentially chokes
the system.
I ended up writing a small utility using getdents() instead, much
faster and the system remains operational.

I was just wondering if e.g. 'find' or 'ls' had some options that
would limit the scope ? (not mtime etc).

Both find and ls use gnulib's FTS implementation instead of raw
readdir and friends.

Is that relatively new? This is an elderly system, not up-to-date,
running openSUSE 11. Another reason for cleaning it up.

Indeed, FTS support has been added in the 4.3 and newer,

Berny, do you know how I would determine if the currently
installed 'find' has FTS support? I have version 4.4 installed.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (8.9°C)