Re: [opensuse] Questions about name resolving using /etc/hosts SOMEWHATSOLVED
  • From: Peter Suetterlin <pit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2018 09:20:23 +0000
Marc Chamberlin wrote:
I found the cause of why I am seeing these anomalies but it is
indicative of another problem (bug?)  Because I am doing some
experimentation and running OpenSuSE in a couple of different
configurations I had changed /etc/hosts so that it was a link to another
file instead of just a straightforward file in /etc. My guess is that
the libraries, which are designed to resolve host names and IP
addresses, using the /etc/hosts file are not capable of following links?

Whee, indeed. I just replaced my hosts with a link to the copied content.
No info from getent anymore...
Doing a strace on the getent call shows

openat(AT_FDCWD, "/etc/hosts", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)

Maybe a security thing? Does O_CLOEXEC prevent following links?