Re: [opensuse] Re: What would be the proper command to swtich off wlan?
On 2018-08-30 17:37, James Knott wrote:
On 08/30/2018 05:30 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Have you actually tried it?  It works fine for me.  My notebook computer
has an address of 172.16.0.40 on WiFi and 172.16.0.42 on Ethernet.
Yes, I have. Years ago.

I can't speak to years ago, but it certainly works now.  Also, as I
mentioned, it works because Linux has routing built in.  Even with
routers from Cisco, you can specify which interface, a ping comes from,
which means it may have to send it out another interface to reach the
destination.  As with Linux, but not Windows, it just works.

The WiFi address can be reached so
long as WiFi is up, regardless of what's happening with the Ethernet
connection So, in your method, the WiFi has to always be powered and
connected. Me,
I often switch it off when not needed. Saves battery.

So, why all this worrying about scripts?

The script is not affected by any of this. I still want the hosts file
be correct when I'm in a different network.

I leave my WiFi, both on the
computer and access point, on all the time, so I can just use it without
worrying.  I normally connect the Ethernet only when I'm planning on
doing major downloads, and then only to save time.  Generally, I don't
use the Ethernet connection at home.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.