Re: [opensuse] Re: What would be the proper command to swtich off wlan?
On 2018-08-30 16:56, James Knott wrote:
On 08/30/2018 04:32 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Then I move the laptop to another room, and remove the cable. I do "ssh
cer@legolas" and now doesn't work, because machine now is only
192.168.1.10. Nameserver does not change, hosts file do not change at
all the machines. And no, I'm not going to type "ssh cer@legolas_e" or
"ssh cer@legolas_w"

Have you actually tried it?  It works fine for me.  My notebook computer
has an address of 172.16.0.40 on WiFi and 172.16.0.42 on Ethernet.

Yes, I have. Years ago.

Now, as I suggested earlier, why don't you give this a try and prove it
to yourself?

Because as I said before, I'm on a trip, not at home.

BTW, in your example, you were trying to connect to the Ethernet
address, which will fail when disconnected, as the interface drops and
the address is no longer reachable.  The WiFi address can be reached so
long as WiFi is up, regardless of what's happening with the Ethernet
connection So, in your method, the WiFi has to always be powered and
connected. Me,
I often switch it off when not needed. Saves battery.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from openSUSE 15.0 (Legolas))