Re: [opensuse] Re: What would be the proper command to swtich off wlan?
On 2018-08-29 21:00, James Knott wrote:
On 08/29/2018 06:42 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
I program the same IP because I want to connect to this machine from
others in the same network using the same name and IP, not having to
consider whether this time I used the cable or the WiFi. I have been
using that setup on my main laptop for years, and I will also use it on
this tiny laptop at some point.

Linux already does that.  If you connect to the WiFi address, you will
still be able to do that, even when connected via Ethernet.  My testing
demonstrated that.  This is one way Linux differs from Windows.  As I
mentioned, I can always connect to my WiFi, even if Ethernet is
connected, as the built in routing handles that situation.  Give it a
try.  Assign different addresses to WiFi and Ethernet.  Connect with
WiFi and verify you can ping it.  Now, connect Ethernet and try pinging
the WiFi address again.  It will still work.

Say:

Wifi is on 192.168.1.10, and eth is on 192.168.1.11.

On nameserver, Legolas=192.168.1.11

At desktop I type "ssh cer@legolas" and it works.

Then I move the laptop to another room, and remove the cable. I do "ssh
cer@legolas" and now doesn't work, because machine now is only
192.168.1.10. Nameserver does not change, hosts file do not change at
all the machines. And no, I'm not going to type "ssh cer@legolas_e" or
"ssh cer@legolas_w"

Do you understand?

I need both interfaces on 192.168.1.11

Yes, I know this can be handled with a central and dynamic DNS, but not
going to do it.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.