Re: [opensuse] Laptop cannot connect to the internet on college wifi
On August 30, 2018 1:28:07 PM EDT, Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Nobody "gets internet" when connected to internal AP (I wonder if AP
connected directly to Internet exists at all). You go via
proxy/router/whatever. You need to explain how your internal users are
supposed to "get internet".

I'm not sure what internal users are.

So compare current settings on your Android phone and openSUSE after
connection to AP is established. Do you get plausible IP address, do you
get matching gateway, is DNS resolution working. I venture to guess that
you need proxy and Android auto-detects it.

Just FYI, I'm manually typing the laptop info on my phone.

Laptop
ip addr:
inet 172.21.12.49/19 brd 172.21.31.255 scope global dynamic noprefixroute wlp3s0
ip route:
172.21.0.0/19 dev wlp3s0 proto kernel scope link src 172.21.12.49 metric 600
dig 172.21.12.49:
connection timed out; no servers could be reached
resolv.conf:
search fios-router.home
nameserver 192.168.1.1

Phone (in Termux)
ip addr:
inet 172.21.26.254/19 brd 172.21.31.255 scope global wlan0
ip route:
172.21.0.0/19 dev wlan0 proto kernel scope link src 172.21.26.254
dig 172.21.26.254:
SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)

I guess that looks right. I know I don't need a proxy because the Android wifi
connection settings say there isn't one. I know they're both configured to use
DHCP.

By the way, I was able to connect to this network last year without changing
any default settings, but something could have changed since then.