Re: [opensuse] Re: What would be the proper command to swtich off wlan?
On 2018-08-26 07:41, Dave Howorth wrote:
On Sun, 26 Aug 2018 10:38:42 +0200 (CEST)

What would you do when both eth and wlan are intentionally on the
same IP? There is collission.
Currently they are not, but eventually I will configure that way.

Err, there's a pretty basic misunderstanding there, I think. IP
addresses belong to interfaces. Each interface needs a distinct
address. That is unless and until you start getting into clever high
availability techniques and suchlike.

Basically, if you have more than one interface with the same address,
then only one of them can be online at any time.

Exactly, which is the main reason I wanted a command to switch off the
wifi when cable gets connected, either automatically or manually. This
tiny laptop needs the command because it doesn't have a wifi button.

In normal circumstances, it is an error to configure an address
collision.

They don't collide if one is switched off :-)

I program the same IP because I want to connect to this machine from
others in the same network using the same name and IP, not having to
consider whether this time I used the cable or the WiFi. I have been
using that setup on my main laptop for years, and I will also use it on
this tiny laptop at some point.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.