Re: [opensuse] Re: Okular - Please put Adobe Reader back in
On 2018-08-29 15:44, Knurpht-openSUSE wrote:
Op woensdag 29 augustus 2018 21:30:40 CEST schreef James Knott:
On 08/29/2018 03:21 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Change procedure :-)

These are bills with a longer name than I want. I open them in the
reader, select save as and then save with the name I want. What can be
simpler? Worked very well in Adobe Reader. In fact, when I save the
file, I click on the previous month's file and just change the name as
appropriate. For example, I'd click on the July bill, with the name
2018_07 and then change the last digit to 8 and then save to the name
2018_08.
OK, the harsh way: Forget about Adobe Reader. They were clear: no
maintenance,
their product for linux is dead. Everything done now to keep it alive somehow
is going to be more and more problematic.

Whatever. Acroread is the only compliant pdf reader.

@Carlos: complain at the Spanish Government f.e. They are lacking in
supporting EU rules, that require governments to make any docs needed
accessible to anybody, no matter what OS.

It is not only Spain: ask jdd, for instance. He provided document
samples that do not open properly.

As far as I know, Adobe defines the standard, the rest have to follow
and create equivalent tools. As far as governments are concerned, PDF is
open and a standard. If Okular doesn't work, just use Acrobat as we tell
you, not half cooked substitutes done by amateurs (not my words).

Anyway, this definitely is not an openSUSE problem, the project has no way to
change this, unless Adobe open sources the code, which is, given their
statements in the past, not going to happen

The Linux devs can get together and develop a proper PDF reader that
really works. There are other proprietary solutions out there that
almost work. Why can't Linux devs create one?

Signatures and Forms are the two main fields I know that fail.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from openSUSE 15.0 (Legolas))