Re: [opensuse] Re: What would be the proper command to swtich off wlan?
On Sun, 26 Aug 2018 08:49:50 -0400
James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 08/26/2018 07:41 AM, Dave Howorth wrote:
Err, there's a pretty basic misunderstanding there, I think. IP
addresses belong to interfaces. Each interface needs a distinct
address. That is unless and until you start getting into clever high
availability techniques and suchlike.

Basically, if you have more than one interface with the same
address, then only one of them can be online at any time.

Actually, you can have multiple routers with the same IP, when used
for load balancing.  With it, there's one master router that handles
ARP requests for the router IP and hands out different MAC addresses
for each request.  That way, if you have enough computers on the
network, the load is approximately balanced over all the links.

Also, token ring supported multiple computers with the same MAC
addresses, for working with the IBM big iron.

That's just a longer way of saying what I already said.