Re: [opensuse] Re: What would be the proper command to swtich off wlan?
On 08/26/2018 04:19 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Regardless, if the broadcasts are IP then they follow it IP rules.
This includes the router function built into Linux.  It looks at the
interface metrics and sends it out via the lowest.  Applications don't
normally work directly with the interfaces.  They provide the data and
IP address and leave it to the OS to do the rest.
When it isn't configured, how does an application know which IP
addresses to use? You do a getifaddrs() and get all interfaces and
their broadcast addresses. There is little or no routing involved.

I'm currently running a test.  At the moment, both Ethernet & WiFi are
connected and I'm watching for Ethernet broadcasts.  I see the NetBIOS
stuff from both IPs, but only the Ethernet MAC, when watching on the
Ethernet port.  I don't see anything on WiFi.

When I disconnect the Ethernet cable, I only see it from the WiFi
address on WiFi, as expected since the Ethernet port is down, with the
cable disconnected.

Bottom line, Linux manages to sort out the appropriate interface, even
with things like NetBIOS broadcasts.