Re: [opensuse] Re: What would be the proper command to swtich off wlan?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 10:19:22 +0200
James Knott wrote:

On 08/25/2018 01:15 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
It's a little hypothetical for me, but if I wrote an app to broadcast
<something> I would default to using all available interfaces. Never
mind any routing.

Regardless, if the broadcasts are IP then they follow it IP rules.
This includes the router function built into Linux.  It looks at the
interface metrics and sends it out via the lowest.  Applications don't
normally work directly with the interfaces.  They provide the data and
IP address and leave it to the OS to do the rest.

When it isn't configured, how does an application know which IP
addresses to use? You do a getifaddrs() and get all interfaces and
their broadcast addresses. There is little or no routing involved.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (12.9°C)