Re: [opensuse] Change in T'Bird reply format
On 25/08/18 18:42, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2018-08-25 04:36, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 09/08/18 01:40, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 2018-08-08 6:59 a.m., Carlos E. R. wrote:

I have:

LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8
I've never set that in my outermost shell.
In fact the outermost shell that starts Thunderbird (as well as
Firefox and
others) gives:
anton@main:~> date
Wed Aug  8 11:34:30 EDT 2018
The date command output is barely affected by the locale, so you can not
check the settings using "date".

and I'd be happy with that.
So something is wrong inside T'Bird.
No, its' not Thunderbird.

I think I found the solution to your 'problem' and it all has to do with
the Regional Settings in Settings>System Settings.

In the FORMATS under Regonal Settings engage "Detailed settings" then in
the TIME setting select "Canada (moh_CA)".  [Don't worry that at the
bottom, in the DESCRIPTION part, it shows the date stamp as
year/month/date.]

After you have made this change, REBOOT then look in Thunderbird to see
what is the date format. IF you don't see date/month/year then play
around in this Settings section -- I don't know which setting you have
for the "Region" for example; I have it set to 'Australia - Australian
English (en_AU)' [##] but in TB get different date formats by changing
the TIME option.
Surely not reboot. Just exit the session and restart.

Whatever.

I also assume that you are changing the session locale properties. I
have to edit the locale variables in bash directly because I use XFCE,
which inherits the BASH locale from outside. And, Thunderbird reads the
locale, whoever sets it, the session or bash.

[##] If I change this to read 'Australia (wbp_AU)' my date format
changes to year/month/date.
If you change the settings in a terminal, and then from that terminal
start thunderbird, it shows the changes. Easily seen in the date column
of the message list display.

Changing the locale in a terminal does not propagate to the current session.

BC

--
"Truth isn't truth."

Rudy Guiliani, Donald Trump's lawyer, 20 August 2018