Re: [opensuse] Re: What would be the proper command to swtich off wlan?
On 08/25/2018 09:07 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Fire up Wireshark and see what's actually happening.  I have verified
in experiment that the metric works, but also when something is sent
to the wlan interface, it actually goes there, as expected, but the
return traffic goes out on Ethernet.  Again, this is expected, as
Linux supports routing and is doing what it's supposed to.
Sorry, I have no time to investigate it now, I'm going. The important
thing is that the two interfaces are seen, even if one is handling
almost all the traffic.
Aren't we talkaing about broadcast traffic anyway? It'll go out over
all interfaces, I would think.
It's still IP and it follows the metric.  When both Ethernet and WiFi
are connected to the same network, Ethernet will be used because of the
lower metric.  Nothing should be going out of the WiFi.

Again, fire up Wireshark and see what happens.  In my experiment, I had
my notebook connected via both Ethernet and WiFi and tried pinging it
from my desktop system.  The ping requests would go to the appropriate
interface, but responses always came back via Ethernet, even though they
showed the WiFi IP address.  Pinging the desktop always used the
Ethernet port, not WiFi.

Also, if Carlos is running a script on the notebook, he could always
test for whether eth0 is up.  Something like ip route show|grep eth0
will determine whether the Ethernet connection is up and respond
appropriately.

Regardless, I get the impression he's trying to fix the symptoms, rather
than the root cause.