Re: [opensuse] Re: What would be the proper command to swtich off wlan?
On 08/24/2018 06:32 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Also, what sort of problems are you having?  WiFi has a higher metric
than Ethernet, so it won't normally be used, when connected to the same
network.
See my nmb thread today, for instance. nmb did see both interfaces.

I wasn't following that thread.  However, that shouldn't change the fact
that the metric means that only the Ethernet connection is used when
availalble and WiFi when it's not.  Here's what mine shows:

ip route show
default via 172.16.0.1 dev eth0 proto dhcp metric 100
default via 172.16.0.1 dev wlan0 proto dhcp metric 600
172.16.0.0/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 172.16.0.42 metric 100
172.16.0.0/24 dev wlan0 proto kernel scope link src 172.16.0.40 metric 600

Because wlan0 has a higher metric, it will not be used when eth0 is
available.  If that's not working for you then you've got other problems.

Then, I have a nm triggered script that edits hosts file to add an entry
there with the current (local network) IP. So, I get the file written
first with the eth0 IP, then overwritten with the wlan0 ip - which is
the wrong one when eth is active. When nm goes out, it writes:

Maybe the problem is with the script.  Why is it writing both addresses,
when using only Ethernet?