Re: [opensuse] Re: What would be the proper command to swtich off wlan?
* Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [08-24-18 05:37]:
On 2018-08-24 11:29, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 08/24/2018 03:30 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Hi,

I have a small laptop that doesn't have a separate switch for the WiFi,
and when I plug in the ethernet cable I get both wlan and eth
connections, which cause some problems (it should not, but it does).

The laptop has a "airplane button" on F7 special keys which is ignored.
Other keys do work, like the volume.

The command "rcnetwork stop wlan1" does stop wlan, but "rcnetwork
restart eth0" starts again the wifi (both, eth and wlan).

How can I stop the wlan, so that NM doesn't reactivate it again?

Ohh, this may be old, but I used to have a script that would let me switch
from wired to wireless and vice versa. IIRC, the actual command to take
wireless up/down was

# /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-wlan0 down # to take wireless down

The same worked for ifcfg-eth0 as well. This is from years past. If this no
longer works, you can always manually take the wireless interface down as
you
are doing after you bring the wired up, but using ifconfig, e.g.

# ifconfig wlan0 down

No guarantees. My scripts are on my 11.4 drive. This is from the notes I
had.

I think those would not work with wicked or network manager - that
machine is on leap 15 :-)

odd, works for me with wicked but on tw, and has for some years now.