Re: [opensuse] Leap-15.0: how to switch to single user mode?
On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 at 14:20, Josef Wolf <jw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 01:44:23PM +0200, Richard Brown wrote:
On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 at 13:41, Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On 2018-08-22 13:19, Josef Wolf wrote:
Hello,

if i give the command "telinit s" (on VT1 of course) the screen is
blanked and
only a cursor blinks at the top left corder.

If I use CTL-ATL-F1 to switch to VT1 again, I see the last contents of
that
VT1. The last command I gave (the "telinit s") just hangs. I'd expect
either a
root shell or a prpmopt to type the root password to get a shell.

What gives? How can I switch to single user mode?

Maybe "init S".

The correct command in this modern era is

systemctl isolate rescue.target

This command shows exactly the same behavior as "telinit s" or "init s"

It kills all virtual terminals and hangs indefinitely. No way to get a prompt
or something. No ^Z and no ^C. The system is simply dead after one of those
commands.

Well if you booted using plymouth you probably need to be looking at
VT7 not VT1..