[opensuse] why embedded versions for everything?
I compiled a new version some of the linux utils for some specific bug fix
or feature, and with libsmartcols.so.1 getting recompiled.

Afterwards, several programs would no longer run and I got messages like:

/bin/findmnt: /lib64/libsmartcols.so.1: version `SMARTCOLS_2.25' not found (required by /bin/findmnt).

The first thing I noted, was libsmartcols.so.1 had 3 versions:
1.0, 1.1 and 1.2, with version '1' pointing at '1.2'.

None of those were version 2.25 -- the version number of the release
of the linux utils.

So why does findmnt look for a bogus version number when the version number
is given in the file name?

Second, what benefit does this provide to the end user? Why are these
bogus version numbers being added to libraries and programs that run perfectly
fine with out them (unless something requires them and failed when it can't fined them).

I fail to see the benefit w/o unless a specific lib is messed up.

Is there an easy util to run to strip all these out -- from libs and the programs that require them?