Re: [opensuse] kernel versions
On 2018-08-21 06:10, don fisher wrote:
On 08/20/2018 08:48 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 21/08/18 13:20, don fisher wrote:

I am a bit tired now and am not sure how to proceed from here. In the
old days I would have built a kernel and run it under gdb. I assume
one can still do that, but have not checked.

Alright, so now you can boot the DVD and start the installation
process. Therefore, install Leap 15.0 and don't start fooling around
with any "building" kernels stuff -- just first install 15.0 and get
it running. Worry about new kernels LATER, OK?

Now, a word of advice: that laptop of yours (you haven't confirmed my
post asking if it was Alienware 13 R3 as per that Wikipedia page)
would have the ability to use UEFI. What I suggest is that you turn
that off in the BIOS and install Leap 15.0 in "legacy" mode.

Also, when you reach the installation part where the choice is made
which partition will be used to install Leap and where /home will be
created and that the file system BTRFS will be used to format the
partition CHOOSE THE EXPERT OPTION and make your own choices about
formatting etc. For example, I format the "/" partition in ext4 and do
not have a separate "/home" somewhere outside the "/". But that is ME
-- do whatever you want, just, please, get Leap 15 installed and
running so that we can get with on with worrying about new kernels,
OK? :-)

Thanks. I guess I wasn't clear enough. I got the DVD to boot using the
"Safe Setting" option.

You should use the acpi=off option instead, because safe settings runs
slower.

I was able to build a Leap 15 system on a USB drive.
My effort today was to try to determine why the 4.4.143-65-default and
other later kernels fail. The problem I had since the beginning of this
thread was trying to get a recent version of the kernel running so that
I could experiment with the open source Nvidia driver, nouveau. It will
not load on the older kernels, dmesg reports:
  nouveau: detected PR support, will not use DSM
  nouveau 0000:01:00.0: enabling device (0006 -> 0007)
  nouveau 0000:01:00.0: unknown chipset (136000a1)
  nouveau: probe of 0000:01:00.0 failed with error -12
One of the authors of the nouveau driver stated that the GP106 is
supported and since my message was "unknown chipset", a later version of
the kernel that is aware of GP106 support may be required. That is what
initiated my search for later kernels.

I thought the task was simply to get 15.0 installed.

Why on a USB?

Were you always installing on a USB?

Is it USB2 or 3?

Is plain 15.0 installed then? Does it run *without* fiddling with any
kernel? If it doesn't run, what is the exact problem now?

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.