Re: [opensuse] installation F5 safe settings
On 08/19/2018 09:16 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
don fisher composed on 2018-08-19 20:54 (UTC-0700):

Felix Miata wrote:

don fisher composed on 2018-08-19 19:47 (UTC-0700):

...I was able to boot the Leap 15 installation DVD if I
selected F5 and Safe Settings. I now need to find out exactly what this
sets...

On vtty2:
# cat /proc/cmdline
apm=off
acpi=off
mce=off
barrier=off
ide=nodma
idewait=50
i8042.nomux
psmouse.proto=bare
irqpoll
pci=nommconf
initrd=initrd
splash=silent
systemboot=1

Will you please explain what you were running when you entered vtty2?

Boot installation media
F5
Select safe settings
Wait for installation GUI to paint the screen
Ctrl-Alt-F2
# cat /proc/cmdline

I experimented with the above "Safe Settings" and found that the only one that is required is acpi=off. And with thatthe system boots, but xosview only shows 3 cpus rather that the usual 7. Could the hyperthreading (if that is what they still call it) be disabled with lack of acpi?
I tried the following options listed in kernel-parameters.txt, acpi=noirq, acpi=strict, and acpi=rsdt but none were successful. There are 26 more acpi related commands listed indicating a complex subsystem, but I do not know enough currently to experiment further.

Ideas welcome.
Don