Re: [opensuse] Using e2fsck in, eg, Leap 15.0
On 08/19/2018 06:57 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 19/08/18 21:43, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2018-08-19 08:28, Basil Chupin wrote:
Many moons ago, when nobody ever walked into a lamp post while staring
into a smartphone, one could check the status of the ext4 file system
where oS was installed (as a for instance, /dev/hda3).

To do this, one first issued (as root) the command:

init 1

followed by

mount -o remount, ro /dev/hdXY

and then issuing:

e2fsck /dev/hdXY

(preferably) without any parameters.

Now, I see that 'e2fsck /dev/hdXY' (man e2fsck) this command is still
available and effective but the 'mount -o...' command does not 'work'
anymore.

What is the new way, please if anyone knows, to check the status of the
ext4 file system?
You mean that you want to check the "/" filesystem, the same one that is
running.

Well, I simply don't do that. I boot from another partition, and if
there is none, I boot a rescue stick. Then, I fsck without tricks.

A possibility is to flag the filesystem as dirty, creating a certain
empty file on "/", then reboot. But I don't remember the exact name, nor
do I know if it works with systemd. It did with init.d, and I could
simply read the scripts to find out its name.

Anyway, this boot fsck sometimes failed and said I needed do a full
fsck, manually. Which meant a rescue system.

Thanks Carlos, this is where for the first time I am going to create that Rescue Disc/Stick :-). Now to read the 'How To...' :-).

Why don't you just use the rescue system on the installation DVD, Basil?
I use it all the time.

Regards,
Lew