Re: [opensuse] kernel versions
On 2018-08-19 22:31, Knurpht-openSUSE wrote:
Op zondag 5 augustus 2018 05:43:27 CEST schreef don fisher:
I have read discussions concerning the wisdom of Opensuse not running
current kernels. But I recently purchased an Alienware 13 3 that is near
EOL, so it is not real bleeding edge technology. Neither the wireless
nor Ethernet are supported, and now I find the the graphics chipset is
not supported either. I was able to use a USB wireless transmitter, but
I cannot get around the display hardware.

message about wireless in dmesg is:
ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/firmware-5.bin failed with error -2

Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet Controller is not
configurable, except with a patch into the /sys directory found on the
internet.

Message about the graphics chipset from the Nouveau list is:

"GP106 is supported, you must be using an older kernel (since yours
says "unknown chipset")".

How dangerous is it to download on of the kernels from the Opensuse
search site. Kernel.org says the latest stable release is 4.17.12. Under
search/42.3/community packages, there are a few offerings shown at this
revision level. How bad is it to install one of these kernels?

Don
This reply is #90 in this thread. Do we still consider the thread as support,
or informative? Not me FWIW.

His problem is not yet solved.

--
Cheers / Saludos,