Re: [opensuse] kernel versions
On 2018-08-19 22:03, don fisher wrote:
On 2018-08-19 03:03, don fisher wrote:
On 08/18/2018 05:38 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:

I mentioned I was about to give up. Looking on Google, the first
reference I see to this model laptop is Nov 1, 2016. More than a year
and a half ago, so I did not consider it bleeding edge. I will continue
to poke around until I get angry enough to throw it.

Did you google if this machine works well with Linux?

Did you say it works well with 42.3, but not with 15.0? Then the thing
would be to report in bugzilla, a regression.

You mention reading logs. It was a lot easier when /var/log/messages
existed,

Just install rsyslog and you have it back.
But you can get a very similar result from journalctl as it is.

and the dns-resolver wasn't polluting the world with silly
resolve.conf error messages. One would be fine, but hundreds serve no
purpose as far as I know.

There are tricks to silence that. I don't remember this instant, though.
Hundreds? That's strange.

[searching]

One idea I read about is deleting /etc/resolv.conf, and then running
"rcnetwork restart" which should recreate it again.

I have tried to execute "rcnetwork restart", but the command hangs.

I doubt it hangs, but on some cases it can take long.

There is no man page.  rcnetwork -h gives Usage: rcnetwork [<options> |
<service> [<args>]]. Restart is not mentioned that I can find.

But it does exist :-)

The "rcCOMAND" were symlinks to old init scripts, for shorter typing.
They have been kept with systemd. The long and modern version is:

systemctl restart network

And does what the name would suggest. No, no manpage, perhaps a mention
in a book. You will not find a man page to the old and shorthand version.

Legolas:~ # l /sbin/rcnetwork
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Jun 11 16:18 /sbin/rcnetwork -> service*
Legolas:~ #

Legolas:~ # l /sbin/service
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Apr 22 18:24 /sbin/service -> /usr/sbin/service*
Legolas:~ #

Legolas:~ # l /usr/sbin/service
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5392 Apr 9 09:49 /usr/sbin/service*
Legolas:~ #

You can find "man service" which is the real command, but will not tell
you much. It exists because many old users are used to them and know
them by heart, needing no man pages to know what they did and keep doing ;-)

Just trust me and run any of the variants of the command ;-)

Like:

systemctl restart network

which is equivalent to two commands:

systemctl stop network