Re: [opensuse] kernel versions
* don fisher <hdf3@xxxxxxxxxxx> [08-18-18 21:05]:
On 08/18/2018 05:38 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 2018-08-18 7:55 p.m., don fisher wrote:
I just tried to boot the 4.4.143-65-default kernel offered by zypper up
yesterday. Works fine on my regular machines, hangs at loading the
ramdisk on
the new laptop.

More and more and more it seem that your problems focus on your this new
laptop.
As I said, I'm not surprised that a new, bleeding edge, laptop gives
problems.
It may be this specific item, it may be the model.

This list has mentioned in the past many laptops that are problematic and
others
that seem to run Linux well.
You may want to trade this in for an older, much older, model, if having a
Linux
laptop is important to you.

I mentioned I was about to give up. Looking on Google, the first reference I
see to this model laptop is Nov 1, 2016. More than a year and a half ago, so
I did not consider it bleeding edge. I will continue to poke around until I
get angry enough to throw it.

You mention reading logs. It was a lot easier when /var/log/messages
existed, and the dns-resolver wasn't polluting the world with silly
resolve.conf error messages. One would be fine, but hundreds serve no
purpose as far as I know.

you can still utilize /var/log/messages but you must install a syslog apps
and follow instructions for minimizing the systemd logging or work in dual
or ...