Re: [opensuse] kernel versions
On 2018-08-18 6:53 p.m., don fisher wrote:
I downloaded kernel-default-4.8.17-1.1.x86_64.rpm from one of the listed sites
yesterday.

"Downloaded" meaning what.

Was this a 'zypper up --download-only' or was this a FTP/Wget/Curl?

if you are not using zypper then it is too easy to get your system out of sync.

I am also suspicious of your attitude towards kernel command line and the use of
kernel modules.

Personally I consider the use of *parametrized* kernel modules essential to a
fully functional system.

Your problems seems to be that you want to get to arbitrary kernels for no clear
resaon.
If you had gone though the change logs, either the ones that come with the
packages or reviewed the changes at the kernel GIT site, to identify something
changed or removed, and explained same, then we could understand the point you
are making. But so much of what you present seems to be arguing from ignornace
of the details and antagonism towards other aspects of how Linux kernels work,
how the change process works.

At another level, you seem to be, and this is a personal observation, enamoured
with bleeding edge modern laptop. I'm and advocated of older technology.
heck, I've even bought older stuff and replaces the blown capacitors! I've got
a chassis with a dead 2-core CPU that is awaiting a 4-core replacement!

Laptops are notoriously Linux unfriendly. If you want to learn Linux they are
in general and many of the more modern ones, as had been reported here
repeatedly, in the category of "Don't start from here".

That being said, I have a nice, but rather thick and heavy HP 6000 from 1999,
just when they too over Compaq, it runs Linux beautifully. So it needs a new
batter, and the screen need a new oscillator card but it is user my desk
running 13.2 and MySQL supporting my RoR applications and LDAP for a few other
things.

You could probably find a PC Chassis and a your local thrift
store/GoodWill/SalvationArmy. Mine seem to have them, along with 17" to 19"
flat screens that are all never prices over CDN$40.

You seem to be cutting yourself up with your bleeding edge laptop. Take a step
back from the edge.

And like I say, read the logs.

And PLEASE, don't just tell us that things fail; detail what you are doing.
And if you don't like me being critical about your lack of detail about context
and results, then try filing a report at BugZilla and get torn to shreds by
people who have to try and fix the 'bugs'.
BTDT.