Re: [opensuse] kernel versions
On 08/17/2018 09:10 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:

Both Leap 15 and TW were updated this morning to 4.18.1-1.1. Should have happened yesterday yesterday but I was fighting "a fire" in Leap 15 where suddenly I couldn't login :-). Solved THAT a short while ago.

The point I was making is that the kernel in '.../stable/standard/' does not care which version of oS or TW you are running -- the only condition is that your system be a 64-bit system.

But if you are running a stock standard version of either oS or TW and are not using the '.../stable/standard' repository then you have to wait for a/the new version of kernel to be made available for the version you are running.

BC

I am running the stock standard version of Leap 42.3 with the, as of yesterday, 4.4.143-65-default kernel.

I am still curious about the kernels under the site software.opensuse.org/search/kernel. I downloaded kernel-default-4.8.17-1.1.x86_64.rpm from one of the listed sites yesterday. I have not tried to install it yet. I was chastised (previously in this thread) for using this site a a source of kernels. But now, since I cannot get older ones from the '.../stable/standard/' site, I would like to know a bit more why using the kernels offered under the search site are a bad idea?

Thanks,
Don